Friday, June 1, 2007

Today's Shoes

More Russian reindeer from GJ Cleverley, this time a three-eyelet plain-toe blucher. When I ordered this shoe, I had wanted them to have V-shaped quarters. Instead, Cleverley delivered a shoe that had nearly straight-sided quarters, which ended up making the shoes very similar to the straight-sided two- and three-eyelet bluchers that are the trademark of such Parisian makers as Corthay and Dimitri Gomez. Well, okay, it doesn't have as much style as the same shoe from Dimitri Gomez, but it's not bad. I ordered these when I found out that the man who had the license from the Duke of Cornwall/Prince of Wales to salvage the hides from the wreck of the Metta Catharina had retired and was no longer diving, which means that there will be no more hides coming up from the bottom of Plymouth Sound. I figured that if I wanted another pair of Russian reindeer shoes, I had better act quickly.

No comments: