Thursday, June 14, 2007

Today's Shoes

Edward Green split-toe double monkstraps in burnt pine antique (Fulham model, 82 last). This is a take-off of Edward Green's classic Dover blucher, which features the same pie crust-style apron handsewing and the same ghosted blind toe seam. Edward Green does this type of work better than anybody else in the world, and this is a wonderful shoe. I saw a picture of it in a Last, a Japanese magazine dedicated to shoes, and I decided that I had to have a pair. Tom Park, from LeatherSoul in Hawaii, liked it so well that he tacked on an order for himself. A friend who also has a thing for shoes decided that he couldn't bear to be left out, and he ordered a pair, too. Witness the power of Japanese shoe magazines! I have since seen the same model (also on 82 last but in cognac antique) at Venanzi in New York. I don't know if Gene Venanzi will end up making a go of that store, but he has great taste in shoes. ;->

No comments: