Sunday, December 2, 2007

Last Night's Tipple

I finished off the 2005 Ravenswood Napa County Zinfandel that I opened Friday last night, and my reaction to it is very similar to my reaction to the Ravenswood Sonoma County Zin on the second day: it ain't bad, but it isn't as good as it was on the first night. This is an example of why I am reluctant to order wines by the glass at restaurants -- if they have been open for much time at all, they likely aren't going to be nearly as good as they could be. I know that there are some restaurants that use an elaborate carbon-dioxide capping system to try to keep the wines fresh; but even if that method works, it's not exactly common. Restaurant markups on wine, particularly on wines by the glass, are typically extreme -- I wouldn't be surprised at all if this particular wine would go for $8 or $9 a glass at most restaurants, and the entire bottle retailed for a shade under $13. Why would I want to pay extortionate prices for stale wine?

No comments: