Monday, December 31, 2007

Measuring By Weight (Or Mass)

You may have noticed that both of the recipes that I have posted for Nutella cookies have included a substantial portion of their ingredient measurements in weights (or masses, but it's essentially the same thing as close to sea level as I live). That's intentional. The only volumetric way that you could possibly measure Nutella accurately is by the displacement method, and who wants to mess with that? Furthermore, flour is compressible and messy and I never really level the measuring cups off. It's much easier (and more accurate) just to do it by weight with a taring electronic scale. The Salter model to the right is what I have -- I think the clear glass top looks pretty cool myself. And when I'm done with it, I just put it back in its original box and packaging; it's the size of a book and takes up much less space than most appliances. I'm not one of those people who automatically assumes that the Europeans are doing it the right way and the Americans are doing it the wrong way when the European way differs from the American one, but it is true in this case.

No comments: