Thursday, May 24, 2007

Today's Shoes

Day

Edward Green chestnut antique adelaide half-brogues (Canturbury model, 202 last). Well, they would be half-brogues if they had a medallion on the toe cap. The shoes pictured to the left are the same model, color, and last as mine, but that's not my couch and those aren't my shoes. These are traditional adelaides, unlike the modified numbers from G&G that I wore yesterday. These are the first Edward Green shoes that I bought (as a special order from Maus & Hoffman in Florida maybe three and a half years ago), and they remain among my favorites.

Evening

John Lobb Paris split-toe penny loafers in dark brown pebble grain leather (Campus model, 3198 last). I picked these up from Neiman Marcus on sale at two thirds off the original price a few years ago. I like the look, but the strap across the vamp is too tight. Chances are that I'll survive.

3 comments:

Sara said...

My immediate image after reading "split toe" was "they make shoes that go between your big toe and the rest of your toes like those socks you can wear with flip-flops? On further reflection, I've decided that probably refers to a cut and some stitching up the leather in the front, right?

Ben W. Brumfield said...

I'm curious about etymology: are "brogues" related to "brogans"?

Soletrain said...

Well, "brogue" and "brogan" clearly come from the same root, but they have very different meanings.