Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Last Night's Tipple

I have been contemplating the Gruet NV Demi-Sec sparkling wine that I opened on Monday and finished last night. In my post yesterday, I was decidedly unenthusiastic about this wine: I didn't think that it was sweet enough or rich enough or unctuous enough. I was expected carbonated Sauternes, and that wasn't really fair. Demi-sec sparkling wine made from the traditional Champagne grapes just isn't ever going to be like that, and the drinker of demi-sec sparkling wine needs to realize that.

So, after purging myself of unrealistic expectations, what can I say about this wine? Well, even if it can't be carbonated Sauternes, I do wish that it had been more fruit-focused. This wine didn't have the explosive berry aromas and flavors that the Gruet Blanc de Noirs and Rosé sparkling wines, and this is a shame. Sugar calls out for fruit to make it interesting instead of just cloying, and I just didn't experience enough of fruit in this wine. I can't say that I didn't enjoy it, just that I would rather spend my money on other Gruets.

No comments: