Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Coco Jam

Coco jam, according to FilipinaChef.com, is "is a blend of creamy coconut milk and brown sugar heated to create a wonderful, spread-able fudge that tastes like rich, sweet coconut caramel... sticky coconut Nutella®." Never heard of it before? Neither had I before Mamacita's friend Letitia asked me if I knew of any Filipino grocery stores in Houston. Fortunately for me, Letitia didn't find a Filipino grocery and was curious enough about it to try to make some of the stuff herself. I can't say whether what she made bears much resemblance to honest-to-goodness coco jam of the sort that is sold in the Philippines, but I can say that it is excellent on vanilla ice cream and on toasted English muffins (as an aside, Central Market English muffins are a heck of a lot better than plain old Thomas's). It has the thickness and consistency of honey and tastes like rich coconut caramel. Extremely tasty.

No comments: