Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Last Night's Tipple

I know, I know, I've had this one before, but it's not feasible for me to try something new every day. One of the reasons that I like American whiskeys (at least good American whiskeys) so much is they are constantly evolving in the glass. Take a whiff and a sip, and you'll form one impression. Put the glass down, come back to it in a minute or two, and try it again. It's likely that you'll get something else. Not only that, but these two things are both likely to be very pleasant. Such is the case with Wild Turkey Rye (and with every other Wild Turkey product that I've tried). There's this rye graininess at first, which evolves into a fruity, cinnamony character and later on to smooth vanilla. The thing about it is that this isn't an old whiskey, either: it's probably five or six years old, if that. It's young and vibrant and full of everything that I like about American whiskey. I imagine that it would make a heck of a Manhattan, too, but I'm too lazy to make one.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Well, at least you drank American whiskey on the 4th!