Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Last Night's Tipple

I have nothing much new to add to my previous writeup of Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve other than to say that I am rethinking my opinion expressed therein about lowering the proof of this Bourbon from 101 to 90 not being a bad thing. The fact of the matter is that Bourbon does not come out of the barrel at 90 or 101 proof, meaning that it has to be watered down to reach that level. What I like most about Bourbon are the vanilla, caramel, and butterscotch aromas and flavors that come from the barrel; and it stands to reason that adding water to what comes out of the barrel reduces the concentration of those things. It is true that the reduced alcohol tends less to deaden one's taste buds, but perhaps the trade-off isn't worth it. Maybe if I had a bottle of the 101 proof RR, I could compare and arrive at a definitive conclusion; but, alas, I can't.

No comments: