Friday, September 28, 2007

Honeycrisp Apples

Honeycrisp apples were developed by University of Minnesota researchers in 1960 by crossing the Macoun apple with the Honeygold apple. The variety is known for three things: its incredibly long shelf life (apparently up to seven months in the refrigerator), extreme juiciness, and a very nice balance of tart and sweet. They have been grown all over the world, but some of the prime examples still come from Minnesota. Including the ones that I bought this week from Central Market, which came from Pepin Heights orchard. They're the most expensive apples in the store, and the bastards had the unmitigated gall to put a container of samples right near the door, and I was of course, forced to have some. That's right: some. You can't have just one of those little apple pieces when the apple is as good as these are. So I bought four. They are excellent. I don't believe that I have ever had a better apple. They're crisp, flavorful, sweet, with just enough acid to balance it. And they're big, too. They're expensive, but they're worth it.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Eating one right this instance, and I totally agree.