Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Last Night's Tipple

Another pour of Fighting Cock Bourbon from Heaven Hill last night, and my impressions of it were substantially different from the first time that I tried it. Last time, my overriding impressions were of char and alcoholic heat. I got neither one last night. Instead, I got a lot of dark caramel without an inordinate amount of burn. I was very pleased. What did not please me was some of what Heaven Hill says on the Fighting Cock website:
Made in the heart of Bourbon country from 3 simple household ingredients: grain, water, and yeast. Most Bourbon is made from a grain mixture of corn, barley, and wheat. We use rye instead of wheat to give Fighting Cock a little extra kick.

As you will know by now, most Bourbon actually has rye instead of wheat in the mashbill. I'm not sure what the exact percentage of ryed Bourbon is, but I would wager that at least three out of every four gallons of Bourbon made uses rye in the mash rather than wheat. Not only does Heaven Hill tell an untruth, they do so for no reason that I can discern.

No comments: