Thursday, November 15, 2007

Last Night's Tipple

I have drinking American whiskey almost continuously for quite some time now, so I decided to have another pour of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky. I probably should not have done this. American straight whiskey is BIG. Canadian whisky is not. Even a more assertive and less vodka-like product like Forty Creek will not have the depth of flavor or aroma that an American straight will have; and the fact that it's bottled at 80 proof, significantly lower than most of the American whiskey that I drink, will not help matters. Predictably, just as a French white Bordeaux characterized by finesse and subtlety would look pallid and weak when tasted next to a big, bruising, aggressive New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, so too did the Forty Creek taste weak and pallid when compared to the Bourbon and rye that I've been drinking recently. There just didn't seem to be much there, although I'm pretty sure that there actually is. I will try it again when I'm off my current Bourbon kick.

No comments: