Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Last Night's Tipple

I finished off the bottle of 1998 Ridge Lytton Springs last night, and my reactions to it are similar to my reactions from Monday night. I can't really call it good, and I don't think the extra day open benefited it at all. With some time in the glass, there is some fruit that is nice enough, but there's not that much sensual pleasure to be had on this. I should have opened this two or three years ago at least.

And let this be a lesson to you, wine lovers: lots of wine, including lots of good wine from excellent makers, doesn't really benefit much from bottle age. Like just about every beer, a lot of wine starts to deteriorate from the minute it's bottled. I don't know if that's what happened with this Lytton Springs, but it sure seems to me that it started to deteriorate at some point between 1999 and when I opened it.

No comments: