Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Last Night's Tipple

I had another pour of JW Dant Bottled-in-Bond Bourbon last night. You will recall that this is one of Heaven Hill's plethora of orphan brands, the list of which includes JTS Brown (Paul Newman's Bourbon in The Hustler) and many others. One question that I have about these brands is whether Heaven Hill fills them all with the same Bourbon. Jim Murray, who is a prominent writer about whis(e)y and the author of Jim Murray's Whiskey Bible, seems to think so because the entries for Heaven Hill's orphan brands in the book all tell you to see the entry for Heaven Hill Bourbon. I'm not so sure. Part of my doubt is due to the fact that I haven't tried any of the other HH rye-based orphans, but part of it is because I know that HH does have different flavor profiles for their different Bourbons. Despite their similar age and proof, for example, Fighting Cock and JW Dant Bottled-in-Bond taste different. They both have that Heaven Hill minty thing going on; but JW Dant has much more char than does Fighting Cock, and Fighting Cock evolves more of a dessert character than does JW Dant. So another thing that I need to investigate more fully in the future.

No comments: