Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Last Night's Tipple

I've commented on this before, but I get a lot of cinnamon both on the nose and the palate with Old Grand-Dad Bourbon. The first OGD that I tried was the 114 proof version, and I assumed that the cinnamon burn was related to the high proof. But it's present in the 100 proof version, too. It's as if an Atomic Fireball candy has been dissolved in the glass of whiskey. I've had plenty of Bourbon with a proof as high or higher than the OGD 100 proof that I had last night, and I've had Bourbon with a higher rye content (rye is the small grain associated with spiciness, and OGD is known as a high-rye Bourbon; both Bulleit and AH Hirsch have a higher rye content than it, however, and rye whiskeys would naturally have a higher rye content, too), but I've never come across the cinnamon element in any other whiskey. I need to try Basil Hayden's, Beam's upscale version of OGD, at a lower proof and with more age, to see what effect age and proof have on the cinnamon. I suppose I could try the OGD 86 proof version, but that wouldn't be as much fun, would it?

No comments: