Sunday, August 26, 2007

Adventures in Canning

Ever-eager to try new things, Mamacita has made and canned a batch of plum ginger butter. I had never heard of such a thing, and I was deeply suspicious of the very idea of mixing plums and ginger. But I am helpless to resist the prospect of free food, and so I begged a jar from her this afternoon. I consumed some of it on a toasted and buttered English muffin this evening. It's really good. The ginger is not particularly pronounced but just sort of lingers in the background. It's not too sweet, either -- just a lot of fresh plum flavor. I like it, and I will happily eat the remaining three jars if Mamacita decides that she doesn't want them.

And no, Letitia, there is not a bit of smoke to be found anywhere. Maybe there would have been if Mamacita had dried the plums over a peat fire, but that would have made no sense. I don't think that she even knows where to find peat.

No comments: