Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Last Night's Tipple

So last night, I get a call from Ben. He's spitting mad. "I bought some of that 1792 crap because you said it was good," he said, "and I hate it. It's shit. I'd rather lick an ashtray." Well, sorry, Ben. I really like it, but tastes do differ. In an attempt to figure out where Ben's tastes lie, I asked him what Bourbons he actually liked. Knob Creek and Jefferson's Reserve, he replied. Jefferson's Reserve is a bit hard to find nowadays; and when you can, it's expensive. And I don't like it that much. But I do have a bottle of Knob Creek.

I just can't bring myself to like this Bourbon. It's not that it's poorly-made, but it's not to my tastes. I think that it's the woody quality it has. It's orange-y, and it has almost a pine resin smell to it. There isn't much of the cinnamon or vanilla or creme brulee that I really like in a Bourbon. It doesn't have either a rye kick or a wheater's sweetness. It's not a dessert Bourbon, and I like dessert Bourbons. And so I will finish off this bottle (or, better yet, give it to Ben for his 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, which is a dessert Bourbon), but I will probably not buy it again. Like I wrote, it's a high-quality Bourbon, just not the high-quality Bourbon for me.

1 comment:

Ben W. Brumfield said...

I like the bourbon-swap idea, but wish I could convince you to dislike Baker's as much as Knob Creek.