Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Whiskey Glasses

I typically drink whiskey straight from one of my Tiffany Plaid double old fashioned glasses. Experts say that a tulip-shaped glass like this Riedel single malt whiskey glass is a better way to concentrate the aroma and flavor of whiskey. Maybe so, but I own both the Riedel glasses and the Tiffany glasses. I prefer the Tiffany glass. Part of it is that the Riedel glasses are so thin that they break easily. Part of it is that the Tiffany glasses have a nice heft to them. Drinking is partly about ritual. One's enjoyment of a drink is not simply the product of the innate quality of the spirit but also the conditions under which it is consumed and sensory perceptions other than aroma and flavor. It is simply more enjoyable to me to lift a heavy cut crystal glass than a light, uncut one. And, I have to say that I have not noticed any degradation in flavor or aroma from using the Tiffany glasses.

(And the final reason why I like the Tiffany glasses: the horizontal cut lines on the outside of the glass are a built-in measuring device. No need to estimate with these.)

1 comment:

Sara said...

built in measuring -- nice! "Form follows function...."